Take a look at the historic Border Bridge which was built in 1914 and is a landmark of Goondiwindi. The first bridge was wooden and was constructed between 1879 and 1880, and survived the 1890 flood. Before the first bridge, goods had to cross on a punt pulled by rope. The wooden bridge was replaced in 1914 by the present steel bridge and was the main crossing point between NSW and Qld until the new bridge on the eastern side of town was opened in 1992.
The Border Bridge spans the MacIntyre River and was the main hub for freight crossing the border between New South Wales and Queensland where duties were collected by Customs.