A plumbing approval is required for all new plumbing and drainage work or alterations/additions to existing infrastructure. Plumbing work can only be undertaken by a licensed plumber/drainer.
Existing Drainage Plans
You can request a copy of an existing drainage plan, if on record, for a property by contacting Council on (07) 4671 7400.
Application forms for all types of development are available from the Department of Housing and Public Works.
New Plumbing Laws - 1 November 2012
On 1 November 2012, a new category of plumbing and drainage work called "notifiable work" commenced. Notifiable work must be performed by a plumber/drainer licensed by the Plumbing Industry Council, but will not require permits or mandatory inspections by Council.
Notifiable work (Form 4) includes most plumbing and drainage work performed in existing homes including:
- Kitchen and bathroom additions and renovations
- Installing or replacing hot water heaters including electric, solar or heat pump hot water heaters
- Installing fixtures such as toilets, showers and sinks in an existing home
- Extending or altering pipe work.
Please note that notifiable work does not relate to properities that are not connected to Council's sewerage system.
- Fact Sheet for Consumers
- Fact Sheet for Industry
- Fact Sheet for Local Government
- Detecting a Water Leak
- Water Saving Tips
Plumbing & drainage inspections
You can book an inspection by phoning Council's Plumbing and Drainage Department direct on (07) 4671 7432.
Backflow Prevention Devices
Council keeps a register of all backflow prevention devices.
- Water & Sewerage Customer Service Standards
- Plumbing & Drainage Service Standards
- DEWS KPI Swim Report
- Drinking Water Quality Management Plan Report 2016/2017
For enquiries relating to plumbing & drainage issues within property boundaries call Council's Plumbing and Drainage Department direct on (07) 4671 7432.