Goondiwindi Regional Council


Making a Development Application

Some development applications are relatively simple. Others will be very complex and you will need to use specialists to assist you in preparing the development application.

To submit an application, you will need to refer to one of the local Planning Schemes.

What is a Planning Scheme?

A Planning Scheme is a document which sets out the controls and use of land that apply to land in the region. At present the three planning schemes of the three former Councils (pre-amalgamation) are still being used in assessing development applications.

Below are the three planning schemes (Goondiwindi Town, Inglewood Shire and Waggamba Shire):

How do I use the Scheme?

Planning Schemes, like many mandatory documents, can be complex and confusing until familiarity is gained through regular use. The scheme is used to ascertain the zoning and criteria for your proposal. For example;

  • Refer to the Zones and category of use. For example, Rural Zone – Multiple dwelling.
  • Refer to the tables and follow the applicable Acceptable Solutions required for that particular code.

Levels of Assessment

Next, you will need to determine the level of assessment required for your development.Different types of development may involve different levels of assessment. Your development may be:

  • Exempt
  • Self assessable - no Council application required where complying with each acceptable solution of the Planning Scheme.
  • Compliance assessment – is suitable for development, documents or works for which; clear technical standards are available, integrated referral agencies are unnecessary and the exercise of broad discretion in determining compliance is unnecessary.
  • Code assessment - application to Council is required. The application is assessed against the applicable codes in the Planning Scheme. No public notification required.
  • Impact assessment - application to Council is required. Assessment is based on the zoning of the land and its proposed impacts to surrounding land uses. Public Notification is required and submissions can be made for or against the application by a third party. Submissions received are taken into consideration during the decision making stage.