A plumbing approval is required for all new plumbing and drainage work or alterations/additions to existing infrastructure. Plumbing work can only be undertaken by a licensed plumber/drainer.
Existing Drainage Plans
You can request a copy of an existing drainage plan for a property by contacting Council on (07) 4671 7400.
Application forms for all types of development are available from the Department of Housing and Public Works.
New Plumbing Laws - 1 November 2012
On 1 November 2012, a new category of plumbing and drainage work called "notifiable work" commenced. Notifiable work must be performed by a plumber/drainer licensed by the Plumbing Industry Council, but will not require permits or mandatory inspections by Council.
Notifiable work includes most plumbing and drainage work performed in existing homes including:
- Kitchen and bathroom additions and renovations
- Installing or replacing hot water heaters including electric, solar or heat pump hot water heaters
- Installing fixtures such as toilets, showers and sinks in an existing home
- Extending or altering pipe work.
- Fact Sheet for Consumers
- Fact Sheet for Industry
- Fact Sheet for Local Government
- Detecting a Water Leak
- Water Saving Tips
Plumbing & drainage inspections
You can book an inspection by phoning (07) 4671 7400 or faxing (07) 4671 7433.
Backflow Prevention Devices
Council keeps a register of all backflow prevention devices.
- Water & Sewerage Customer Service Standards
- DEWS KPI Swim Report
- Drinking Water Quality Management Plan Report 2015/2016
For enquiries relating to plumbing & drainage issues within property boundaries call the Plumbing & Drainage section on (07) 4671 7400 or fax (07) 4671 7433.