Population: (approximately) 1,000
The town was named arising out of a dispute over a land claim in the 1850's, which, at the time bore similarities to a dispute taking place when the Republic of Texas in the USA was fighting over land with Mexico. The land was called Texas Station and subsequently the old town of Texas originated on the river flats in 1875, near where the present town is today.
Cattle and sheep grazing are a major industry in the Texas area, but there are signs of diversification taking place. Deer, ostrich and goat farming are emerging, as is a diverse rural production, including fruit, vegetable crops, herbs, peanuts and olives.