The elected Mayor and Councillors for the Goondiwindi Regional Council were officially sworn in on Tuesday 8 April 2016 at 10:00am.
The designated portfolio holders for the particular areas are identified as follows:
Rural Services & Community Facilities (other than sport & recreation) (Cemeteries, halls, buildings, public buildings) – Cr Joan White
Culture, Health, Ageing & Economic Development – Cr David Turner
Waste & Regulatory Services – Cr Rob Mackenzie
Water and Sewerage – Cr Rick McDougall
Transport & Roads – Cr Rick Kearney
Sport, Recreation & Parks and Gardens, Youth & Education, Technology – Cr Lachlan Brennan
Role of a Councillor:
Queensland's Local Government Act 2009 states that the roles of a Local Government Councillor are generally-
- represents the overall public interest of the local government's area and, if the councillor is a councillor for a division of the area, also represents the public interest of the division; and
- takes part in deciding the facilities, services and enterprises that are appropriate for the area; and
- takes part in formulating, adopting and reviewing:
- the local government's corporate plan and operational plans; and
- the policies and goals of the local government; and
- takes part in making decisions for achieving goals and implementing the policies of the local government.
Please note that Goondiwindi Regional Council is not divided for electoral purposes (i.e. there are no electoral wards or divisions) and therefore the Mayor and each Councillor represents every citizen in the Shire.
Councillors are not provided with any discretionary funds.
Consult the Local Government Act 2009 for more details.