Wi-fi in CBD and Libraries terms and conditions« Back
Welcome to Goondiwindi Regional Council's free wi-fi hotspot.
Access is subject to the following terms and conditions. There terms and conditions may be revised at any time.
If you do not agree to comply with the terms and conditions, you must not access or use the hotspot.
Information on the internet
Goondiwindi Regional Council does not guarantee the quality of the information on the internet. It is your responsibility as a user of the service, to determine the validity, quality and relevance of the information obtained.
Logging in and out of the hotspot
In order to use the hotspot, you need a wireless enabled device with an ability to use a browser that has its own power source. You must agree to accept these terms and conditions of use by selecting 'I agree'.
You will be automatically logged out of the hotspot if:
- Your access is terminated by reason of a breach of these terms and conditions.
- The wireless connection of the hotspot you are accessing is lost, disconnected or becomes out of range.
- No activity is detected from your wireless enabled device for a continual period of 30 minutes while logged on to the hotspot.
- You exceed the any of the following time limits;
- 24 hours or 200mb for Street Wi-Fi
- 8 hours or 500mb for library Wi-Fi
Speed and reliability of the hotspot
Goondiwindi Regional Council hotspot provides limited free broadband access.
Goondiwindi Regional Council will use its best efforts to ensure stable and secure access to the hotspot, but does not guarantee that the access will always be free of errors, virus, interception or interference.
Upon becoming aware of any malfunction of the hotspot, Goondiwindi Regional Council will attend to rectification of the fault, but is not obliged to do so within any specified time frame.
Goondiwindi Regional Council intends for the hotspot to be used in a manner that does not offend the standards of the general community and may in its absolute and sole discretion, limit or block websites that do not meet those standards. Unacceptable websites may include, but are not limited to, websites and/or content that:
- Could cause Goondiwindi Regional Council to breach any law governing its conduct or to incur a liability to any third party.
- Could interfere with the integrity and/or performance of the hotspot, Council's network or equipment.
- Depicts, alludes to, or promotes offensive or illegal behaviour.
- Promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm to any group or individual.
- Harasses or promotes harassment of another person.
- Exploits people in a sexual or violent manner.
- Contains nudity, violence or offensive subject matter or which may connect to adult websites.
- Promotes conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene or defamatory.
- Intentionally infringes copyright.
- Involves the transmission of junk mail, chain letters or unsolicited mailing, instant messaging or spamming.
- Promotes criminal activity.
- Contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, or other computer programming routines that may damage, interfere or intercept access.
- Could reflect poorly on the reputation of council.
If Goondiwindi Regional Council becomes aware that websites are accessed in contravention of these terms and conditions, it reserves the right to immediately terminate and block the access without prior notice.
Users should be aware that the browsing or downloading of illegal information from the internet could lead to prosecution.
Goondiwindi Regional Council cannot guarantee the security of the hotspot at all times. Your access and use of this hotspot is at your own risk. The onus is on you as user, to ensure that usernames, passwords and security-based information are kept private and the firewalls are installed to prevent unauthorised access.
Goondiwindi Regional Council is not liable for any kind of loss or damages you may sustain as a result of your use of the hotspot.
Goondiwindi Regional Council respects your right to privacy and will not capture any personal information while accessing the hotspot unless your consent is granted.
However, once you access the hotspot and open the internet browser application to the website, Goondiwindi Regional Council will capture and process information about the web browser type and/or operating system information used by the enabled device in order to determine the most effective and/or customised means of displaying the requested website on your device.
Goondiwindi Regional Council will collect and store the IP and MAC address of the enabled device that has accessed the hotspot, once the terms and conditions have been agreed to.
Goondiwindi Regional Council is not responsible for the use that any third party may make of personal information obtained through use of the hotspot and you should make your own enquiries to satisfy yourself of the applicable policies for use of private information by the websites accessed by you.
Release and indemnity
By using Council's wi-fi hotspot, you release and discharge Goondiwindi Regional Council from any liability which might arise from the use of the service including liability in relation to defamatory or offensive material or any breach of the copyright which may occur as a result of use.
You agree to indemnify and must defend and hold harmless Goondiwindi Regional Council, its employees and agents, from and against all loss, damage, liability, charge, expense (including all reasonable legal and other professional costs on a full indemnity basis) of any nature or kind arising from your breach of these terms and conditions.