Goondiwindi CBD Masterplan Project
The Goondiwindi region is a service hub for many from kilometres around, and our towns are well known for their presentation and attractiveness. This project is about regional livability and community pride, and the renewal of the main street will mean we can continue to showcase our town, our region and what we represent – which is ‘Regional Australia at its best.
The Masterplan for the Goondiwindi CBD is a plan for the future. It is a staged 10-year plan that will guide future works undertaken by Council, likely subject to external funding. To access external funding Council must have a plan and costing for any proposed works.
As a result of the previous public consultation with the community, Council has appointed a consultant and completed initial concept designs for the project. Community consultation was conducted and a survey and closed on 8 March 2023.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Masterplan for the Goondiwindi CBD is a plan for the future. It is a staged 10-year plan that will guide future works undertaken by Council, likely subject to external funding. We want our town to continue to be liveable and attractive, and to ensure the CBD continues to be regarded as a growing, successful and attractive place to live, work, visit and invest.
To access external funding Council must have a plan and costing for any proposed works.
Over recent years there has been an accumulation of requests to Council that require Council to consider future options. These include:
- Complaints to Council about accessibility issues including disability and prams
- Complaints to Council about the outdated nature of some elements of the main street, namely pavers and concrete planter boxers
- Safety concerns raised by an arborist relating to the aging nature of some of the palm trees
- The known maintenance and upgrades of town water infrastructure that will require parts of the existing main street to be disturbed/ replaced
- Requests from local community group Lanescape to introduce artwork that improves the Goondiwindi CBD area
Over a 6 week period in (September/ October) 2020, the following was made available to the community:
- An online survey, promoted through various local Facebook groups
- Stalls in the main street to capture people’s opinions, including a paper based survey
- Goondiwindi Argus promotion of community consultation, including a front page story
- Survey shared with the local Goondiwindi Chamber of Commerce to share with their members
- Meetings with local community groups e.g. Family History Group and Lanescape, etc.
- Phone discussion with individual interested / concerned community members
No decisions have been made. However, a number of the larger palms have already perished and caused safety issues, the remaining are nearing the end of their lifespan.
What they will be replaced with, including the option to replace with similar palm trees, forms part of this consultation process.
No ratepayer funds have been committed to undertake future improvements or upgrades to the Goondiwindi CBD. A concept design is required to ascertain the cost and to source external funding for the potential project.
The Goondiwindi CBD Masaterplan is a 10-year outlook. This second round of consultation will be undertaken during January/February 2023. The outcomes of this consultation will determine the next steps.
Residents can submit additional information, preferably in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Residents can raise concerns, and suggest improvements at any time. You can do this by contacting your local Councillor, or by contacting Council on email@example.com or phone 07 4671 7400.