Lost or Impounded Animals

« Back


If your animal is lost, it may have been impounded by Council. 

Council's Animal Pound will keep a registered dog for five (5) working days.  Unregistered dogs are kept for three (3) working days.  If the dog is not released within these timeframes, they will be processed in accordance with the Councils Local Laws and the Animal Management Act 2008.

I have found a lost animal

My animal is in the pound

How do I release my animal from the pound?

If Council has impounded your animal, please contact the Goondiwindi Regional Council Customer Service Office on (07) 4671 7400, so arrangements can be made to release your animal. Alternatively, you can visit any Council Customer Service Office during office hours..

Please note that only the legal owner of the animal can obtain release of an animal from the pound.

How much does it cost to obtain release of my animal?

Payment of the release (and registration) fee is to be received in full prior to the release of the animal. Please note if you have not obtained release of your animal within five (5) entire working days of impounding, you will be charged a daily sustenance fee.

Release Fees

Pound Opening Hours

Council's Animal Pounds are open for the release of animals between Monday - Friday 8am - 3pm.

Where are the Animal Pounds?

The Goondiwindi Animal Pound is located on Boundary Road (between Caltex Service Station and Frasers Truck Stop). The Inglewood Animal Pound is located at the Council Depot on Killen Street. The Texas Animal Pound is located at Texas Depot on Flemming Street.

My animal is NOT in the pound

Council maintains a lost and found animal register. If your animal is missing, and is not in the Pound, you can leave your details with us by completing and submitting the information in our ONLINE Lost/Found Animal form.

It is also strongly recommended that you also contact the RSPCA on (07) 4155 1736 to see if your animal has been delivered to them.

I have found a lost animal

There are three (3) options available to you. They are:

  1. You can call Council's Animal Management Local Laws Officer, (07) 4671 7400, and arrange for the animal to be collected.

  2. If the animal is registered, you can call one of the Customer Service Offices during business hours on (07) 4671 7400 (Goondiwindi), (07) 4652 0200 (Inglewood), (07) 4653 2600 (Texas) so that the owner of the animal may be contacted. Staff can also search the lost animal register to see if the animal has been reported missing.

  3. Complete our online ONLINE Lost/Found Animal form for submission to Council.