Dog Registration« Back
Dog Registration / Renewal
The registration period is from 1 January to 31 December each year. Renewals for 2021 were due on 31 January 2021.
If you haven't yet paid your dog registration renewal you can do this at any of Council's Customer Service Centres.
How to register your dog
To register your dog you will need to:
- Complete a dog registration form
- Make copies of related documentation (such as microchipping and desexing certificates)
- Forward any of the above with any registration fees either in person at any of Council's Customer Service Centres or via post to LMB 7, Inglewood Qld 4387.
Fees and charges are accepted by cash, cheque, money order, EFTPOS or credit card.
Dog Registration Requirements
Goondiwindi Regional Council encourages responsible dog and cat ownership.
All dogs are required to be registered with Council. Failure to do so may result in fines being issued to the keeper of the animal. Cats are not required to be registered but must still be microchipped.
Guidelines for registering and microchipping dogs and microchipping cats are:
- From the 1st July 2010 microchipping is compulsory for all:
- Dogs & cats after 8 weeks old and before they reach 12 weeks of age
- Dogs & cats that are sold or given away (for any age over 8 weeks old)
- Declared dangerous and declared menacing dogs
- Dogs and cats that turn twelve weeks of age before the 1st July 2010 are exempt from microchipping unless they are sold or given away, or if they are declared a dangerous or menacing dog.
- From the 1st July 2010 all dogs 12 weeks of age or over must be registered with Council.
- A maximum of 2 dogs over the age of 3 months can be kept on an allotment in a designated town area.
- A maximum of 1 dog over the age of 3 months is allowed to be kept at a flat or unit.
- Desexing your pets is not compulsory but is recommended.
Update Your Details
Please notify us of any changes to your details so that we can issue the correct notices to you.
Changes may include:
- the dog owner becomes a pensioner and can claim the pensioner discount registration fee (Pension card number must be supplied)
- the dog is desexed and the owner can claim the discount to registration fees (proof of desexing must be provided)
- when the dog is deceased
- if the dog has changed ownership
- if the dog moves from the Goondiwindi region, or
- when there is a change to your address. (Please note change of dog ownership requires a registration form to be completed, signed and submitted to Council.)