Drought Support

« Back

The latest Drought Declaration Situation Map and a printable Drought Assistance Information Pack can be accessed by clicking the buttons below:

Drought Declaration Situation Map



Funded by the federal government and led by the National Farmers Federation, FARHMHUB has been created as the central information tool to connect all types of financial, social and other support for drought impacted families. Visit farmhub.org.au for more information.



The Rural Financial Counselling Service (Southern Queensland) (RFCSSQ) provides free financial counselling to farmers and other related businesses who are suffering financial hardship.  It's a confidential, independent, mobile service.

Phone:  07 4622 5500
Website:  www.rfcssq.org.au



If you're a farmer, farm worker or farm supplier/contractor who is struggling financially because of the drought, you may be entitled to receive a one-off payment of up to $3,000 funded by the Australian Government’s Drought Community Support Initiative Round 2 (DCSI).

To be eligible you'll need to be over 18, an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and live/work in a specified Local Government Area (LGA). 

Payments can cover numerous expenses such as groceries, vehicle maintenance, energy & utility bills, health & medical expenses, for example.

Upon completion of your application for financial assistance you may be required to submit a valid form of I.D.

If you have any questions ahead of filling out an online application, you can call the Drought Community Support team on 1300 551 030

The Salvation Army
24 hour hotline: 1300 551 030
Website: www.salvationarmy.org.au/need-help/disaster-relief-and-support/drought-community-support-initiative/  


Border Rivers Community Care

Coordinated by Care Goondiwindi, Border Rivers Community Care is a central point for the distribution of hay and other financial support to farmers and associated rural contractors affected by the drought in the Goondiwindi district.  Support can also be in the nature of groceries, phone, and electricity expenses.

Contact: 07 4670 0700, or visit the ‘Border Rivers Community Care’ Facebook page

Texas and District Drought Support (TADDS)

Coordinated by a local group of concerns citizens and auspiced by the Texas Lions. TADDS coordinates offers of help and support for our border regions district. If you are a farmer that needs help to access support, or someone who wants to lend a hand to our local farmers, please contact the group.

Contact: Amanda, 0437 713 488 or join the facebook group TADDS - Texas and District Drought Support

Email: tadds.texasqld4385@gmail.com

Tie Up the Black Dog

Coordinated by local community not-for-profit group Tie Up The Black Dog Inc. The Tie Up the Black Dog Committee has worked across regional Queensland since 2007 to support initiatives addressing mental health issues across our rural communities.

Contact: Mary Woods on 07 4676 4145, or e-mail mwoods49@bigpond.com


Department of Agriculture and Fisheries website.

The link below is a useful link for producers looking for drought support.

Keep clicking through the “next” button at the bottom of each page to see a whole range of available subsidies and support tools.


Australian Taxation officewebsite

Help is available for drought-affected taxpayers across regional, rural and metropolitan areas to manage their tax.

Centrelink website or call 132 316

Centrelink offers payments for farming families in financial hardship, subject to eligibility.

Australian Government assistancewebsite or call  1800 900 090.  

Queensland Government assistancewebsite or call 13 25 23

The Queensland Government and Australian Government offer programs to help farm families, farm businesses and farm communities affected by drought.


If you are struggling or know of someone in need of help there is further assistance available. Many agencies and companies have policies in place to help reduce the pressures. Contact the organisation directly about payment plans and/or waiving of interest. 

Lifelinewebsite or call 13 11 14

Lifeline offer crisis support and suicide prevention services. They have developed a tool kit to assist those living in drought affected areas to care for themselves and those around them.

Goondiwindi Regional Council - call 07 4671 7400 - Drought Preparedness Plan

Ask about the domestic water policy for farmers and payment plans.

Ergon Energywebsite or call 1800 185 750

Ergon are offering drought relief in the form of waived charges and deferred payments.

Your chosen bank- talk to them as early as possible to come up with a plan.

Buy a Balewebsite or call 1300 327 624

Farmers are able to register to receive donated bales of hay.

Farm Rescuewebsite or call 1300 327 624

Volunteers and tradespeople work to fix infrastructure that farmers do not have the skill, time or money to do themselves.

Rural Aidwebsite or call 1300 327 624

Rural Aid provide a range of support services from provision of animal feed, cash handouts, holidays and mental health assistance to education assistance and technology.

The Salvation Armywebsite or call 02 8757 8088

The Salvation Army is on the ground supporting families and communities affected by the droughts.

Drought Angelswebsite or call 0409 548 414

Drought angels provide food hampers, care packs, prepaid visas, local store vouchers, stock feed and hay.

Queensland Country Women's Associationwebsite or phone 07 3026 1220

Australian Red Cross - website or phone 1800 733 276

The Australian Red Cross have put out a guide on How to Support People in Drought